2017-07-11

Surviving the Outer Banks: Day Three

     Valeri here.


     First things first, Matthew and I have managed to not turn into lobsters our first full day. #Winning
     We are still just as pale as when we left Missouri ... just in case you were wondering. The SPF70 we used may have helped.


     Okay, on to the day.
     We woke up later than we planned (8 a.m.) and we're blaming that mainly on the road trip wearing us out. Blah. So we got up and had some coffee and conversation with Jody up in the crow's nest while we took in the view.


You can see the crow's nest at the top.


     I'm not sure we've told you about the crow's nest yet. The house we're staying at has a little elevated deck on the roof, which happens to be the highest crow's nest in the OBX. It provides a great view and also a perfect coffee spot in the morning/evening.


     After coffee, Matthew and I grabbed bagels/cream cheese to take with us to the beach.
     The walk was about 10 minutes, which isn't bad since we enjoy a good walk. However, as we found out a couple hours later on our walk back, 10 minutes in North Carolina's July heat isn't so wonderful.
    We walked along the beach toward a pier we had seen the night before. Matthew gave me lessons in searching for sharks teeth along the surf ... which is also not a dry sport. By the time we got to the pier, we were drenched from the waste down.


The shark's tooth Matthew found
     The cold waves though were a nice relief from the heat.


Our morning walk in the surf




     About an hour later, we met up with the rest of the family and watched while most of them swam. It was funny seeing Dad have to hold onto his straw hat as he went underwater to avoid a wave. I'm still surprised he didn't lose it at some point. I'm sure you'll get a glimpse of what I'm talking about in our video montage at the end of the trip.


     After getting some sun and enjoying the surf, we made our way back to the house to change for lunch.


The family at Poor Richard's


     Lunch was at a small sandwich shop in Manteo called Poor Richard's. It definitely didn't disappoint. Matthew had the Philly Cheesesteak and I had a turkey and swiss on rye.


Matthew's Philly.


     Not only was the food in Manteo good, but the buildings and little shops gave a fun atmosphere. We made sure to visit a small bookstore before heading to Fort Raleigh National Park.


     Fort Raleigh is a good place to learn about the history of the lost colony and the National Park was beautiful. Jody spotted a neat tree, so we ended up doing a little photo op.


The family at Fort Raleigh National Park


     So for today's last family outing, we visited Bodie Island Lighthouse. I'd never seen a lighthouse in person, so I was excited.
     I'm not really sure how to describe it, so I'll just let the photo speak for itself.


Wow ... right?!?


     There was also a little overlook area that we walked out to where we could see some crabs swimming in the water and Katie continually freak out about the "Venomous snakes have been seen in tall grass, so stay on the walkway" signs.:)


Three smiling faces and one wise guy


     I think everyone was ready to get back to the house to relax a little, however, there was no rest for the Pearons since it was our night to cook the family dinner.
     So we made a grocery run and did our thing in the kitchen ... well, Matthew did while I lent a hand when it was needed.


     After dinner we scurried off to Coquina Beach to watch the sunset. We made it just in time, but plan to go back so we can set up the GoPro for a timelapse.


Coquina Beach at sunset


     Not only did we see the sunset while there, but also a lot of sand crabs. So many that I was afraid of where to step. I actually think Matthew stepped on one and he had to somewhat run away from another one ... so many.


     I'm seriously wiped out. I'm surprised I made a through writing this without passing out.
     I apologize though for the lack of original storytelling ... my brain wasn't wanting to work that hard tonight. Thank you though for sticking with me.
     Tomorrow is our day in Washington, D.C., and you'll have Matthew's recap. He's pretty excited about a day in the city, so I'm sure he'll give you a wonderful play-by-play.


     Until then ...


"At the beach, life is different ... time doesn't move hour to hour,
but mood to moment."
-Anonymous


    
     More photos can be found by clicking the photostream icon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment