2017-07-10

Surviving the Outer Banks: Day Two

     Matthew here, signing on from North Carolina's beautiful Outer Banks!

     I'm sure by now you've read the first entry authored by my lovely wife, Valeri (if not, click here), but this is my first contribution, so I would like to start by welcoming you to yet another adventure with your favorite virtual travel companions: the Pearons. We're glad to have you along...now buckle up and settle in.
     Today was a lot of...well...nothing, really. It consisted almost entirely of staring at hard, black asphalt and watching white and yellow lines zip by. There was the occasional reprieve from the roads via a rest stop or fast food restaurant. For the most part, it was uneventful. Now for the nitty-gritty details of the day.
     We started the day at our hotel in Shelbyville, Kentucky, with a quick breakfast of eggs, waffles, bagels, yogurt and juice – all of which was provided by the hotel. We were actually ahead of schedule, but it seemed like it took an eternity to escape the city limits. I think we ended up actually leaving town by 07:20.
    ...and then came the afore mentioned driving. A lot of it. I can throw units of time around here (10.5 hours / 603 minutes / 37,800 seconds / eternity), but I don't think any of those properly convey how much road tripping was actually done here. Don't get me wrong, I love to drive, but this was a bit much. It was mostly interstate travel, and the vehicle was a very small commuter, so other than some neat scenery, there wasn't much to be excited about.

     Anyway, enough about the drive - lets get on to the destination.

     Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Outer Banks:
     Enough said? Yeah, I thought so too. It is early days yet, so the verdict is still out - but this might have been worth the trip.

     This is only Valeri's second beach outing, so I had to snap a quick shot of her taking it all in.
     Gorgeous, huh? The beach isn't half bad, either.  ;)

    We were joined in our wonderment of the jaw-dropping sunset by a sand crab. After this sighting, Valeri was hyper alert to where she was placing her feet. She wasn't very keen on the idea of having a crab nip at her toes.
     Meet Carl. He's blending pretty well, which made it tricky to get him in focus.

     We have several very busy days ahead of us - which start bright and early tomorrow morning - so I'm going to let you fabulous people stop reading my ramblings and go about your business!

     This is Matthew, signing off.


"At the beach, life is different ... time doesn't move hour to hour,
but mood to moment."
-Anonymous

     More photos can be found by clicking the PhotoStream icon on our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment